Councillor Jared Cassidy
Jared Cassidy has represented the Deagon Ward since August 2015. He grew up in the local area and attended Shorncliffe State School and Nudgee College. His family has called the Deagon Ward community home for five generations and have run businesses and been involved in community and sports groups for decades.
Before becoming the Councillor he worked in both the public and private sectors. Jared previously worked for the Federal Member for Lilley, Wayne Swan, and the former Councillor for Deagon Ward, Victoria Newton. He has also been an academic tutor at Griffith University and Nudgee College and has run his own small business.
Jared completed a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Politics and Government in 2008 and a Master of International Relations in 2013.
As the Councillor for Deagon Ward, Jared spends most of his time with local residents and community groups. He is a strong supporter of the many community and sporting organisations in the Deagon Ward and is a member and patron of many local organisations. He supports a wide range of community events like the Einbunpin Festival as Chairperson, Zillmere Festival, South Pacific Islander Christmas in the Park and established the Sandgate Youth Festival supporting young and emerging artists.
Jared is the patron of the following organisations:
- Sandgate Theatre Company
- Sandgate Canoe Club
- Sandgate Swimming Club
- Sandgate Brighton Childcare & Kindergarten Association Inc
- Boondall Barracudas Swimming Club
- North Star Orchid Society
- Sandgate Senior Citizens Association
- Volunteer Marine Rescue
- Sandgate Meals on Wheels
- Sandgate Golf Club
- Einbunpin Festival (Chairperson).
- Jared is the Leader of the Opposition in Council and Opposition Spokesperson on Council’s Public Active Transport Committeeand a member of the Environment, Parks and Sustainability Committee.